Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Funhouse

woman mirror breakup relationship love divorce funhouse



We don't see things as they are. We see things as we are.
- Anais Nin

My ex-husband and met because I misunderstood his hand gesture as a wave. I thought he was waving at me, and so I waved back. Starting with this mistaken wave our relationship snowballed like a Comedy of Errors, and I laugh when I remember that the birth of our love burst forth because of the power of my misperception.

In relationships, misperception is incredibly common. It's so hard to see the reality of another, and words will never fully translate what your partner is feeling.

Your partner was your mirror -- a reflection of you -- and your relationships are like walking into the funhouse of your mind. In each love encounter, you dare to step in front of the mirror of YOU. Sometimes you laugh in surprise, shrink in shame, or run away in fear, but all these mirrors are pointing you in one direction -- a path to nowhere, a home that is both an ending and a beginning.

May you meet all these mirrors with a loving heart and good humor so as to embrace the unexpected twists and turns.